Haruki, I think not. This is not him, not his book, not his story. It’s me, right down to the worn-down sneaks, the perspiration. Welcome to the account of what I think about when I’m running on the treadmill by a unbiased somewhat aware runna’.
I see those advanced in age attempting to run on the treadmill, perspiring buckets, I mean it, on the sleek futuristic machines, sweat dripping from their brows, onto their arms, and finally onto the much- beloved machines. Those older in age, with their dull in your face black rimmed spectacles in an attempt to young themselves down. As always, the aspiration of so many. Then we have their female counterparts, in their clunky jewellery, will no one tell them that minimalistic is the way to go these days, what with recession woes ( Tried hard to resist, but recession jokes are the order of the day). There is much more, their high heels, trust me on this, why should making a fashion statement in a gym be so tough, what will all the people flailing their sweaty body parts all over the place to be a part of the Fash. Frat.
The top 3 reasons for them joining a gym should definitely include:- 1. Walking at a leisurely pace on the treadmill;2. An air-conditioned gym;3. Catching up on the latest – “ohh, you know what happened that other day sort of talk” with their female friends. Sigh, the term gymming is abused so much by their ilk.
But now, I am deviating away from the topic at hand. Ok, so here I go again. What do I think when I run on the treadmill. Plenty of things. You see the people running next to you on the other treadmills, That drives me on. It gives you a high, when you walk at speeds that they can’t even run at. It raises you up. And when you go full out, or “ “ as Armstrong says, it’s beautiful. You don’t feel the wind hitting your face, everything getting blurry. What you do feel, is the humming of the machines slowing down, distinctive sound of people talking increases, your heart rate adjusting to the speed, the toes of your feet barely touching the treadmill and that is phenomenal.
I glance at the people working out at the other treadmills, similarly glancing at other people, see their insecurities writ large on their faces. Their attempts to fit in, though commendable, are just not enough. I scoff at them in my mind, literally laugh out loud. Then are those who try to do too much, they are determined, ready to put themselves to the test, but more than often I feel it’s just a façade to hide what they truly are- To believe that they do important work for important people, when they are not even pawns in the larger picture. Thus, they may work their arse off, but they do it to hide away what they are; in an attempt to be something which they want, which when you think of it, is what everybody joining the gym wants to do.
Work out, work hard, work it. You do what you have to do, you hate it, loathe it, but you do it. Like everything you always do, you follow the education system, you follow the people. Non- conformism be damned, you do whatever it takes to fit in, to be what others led you to believe you should be.
But at the end of the day, do run on the treadmill, that is the most peaceful time you would ever get in your day; crammed with things people want you to do, to become people they want you to be. So, seize the moment, better yet Carpe Diem. Do it for yourself.
As told to the author by the Runna'.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
High heeled in gym...lol....sounds wierd....Must be an added entertainment for the regular gymmers!!!!!
Lol, Yeah!
Post a Comment