The FAA brings you the confidential report of a facebook addict, one of the countless millions enslaved by the wonderful multi-layered virtual beast that is facebook.
Here I am, typing this on my laptop. I write it on my laptop while my facebook profile is open alongside. I dare not miss anybody attempting to talk to me on facebook chat, how can I even think of offending them so. All these group invitations, café world requests, farmville gifts etc. whilst cluttering my inbox give me a thrill, a feel of being wanted by all those random people who I would never meet on a regular basis, let alone actually talk to. Joined by the love of all things facebook, I live in this beautiful little world unmarred by wars, droughts and famines. Well maybe those pesky exams and holidays (like really, how can you even think of enjoying a holiday separated from facebook!). Thankfully, accessing facebook on my mobile keeps me going whilst in college and tuition.
Just observing all these people interacting with each other on an hourly basis, if not daily is enough to cheer anybody up. The breaking down of boundaries between people through this messiah of social networking is a delight. All the awkwardness, on the spot attempts at humour fade away when you try to know them through this Big F. Its so good, its actually scary.
Addictive, I wouldn’t call it that. Its more of a need, you know the essentials- Food, shelter, clothing and now facebook. I will say that I prefer being on facebook rather than going out, making all those portentous plans. Who needs that, being on the grid is enriching in itself. We throw open our lives on facebook, display our various emotions on a daily basis. It has started influencing me, all these people, their gamut of opinions on various things- their life, my life, my school etc. It makes me feel a part of this large group of people united by a common faith, a belief. Not intending to belittle my social classmates, this doesn’t mean that you are not ‘in’, just that I’m better in my not-so-secret little world now.
I wake up and the first thing I do is open my facebook account, look at all those notifications which give me a feeling of self-fulfillment, check the facebook chat tab to see who’s online, go through everybody’s status’s written while I dozed away to glory. I feel bad, I feel terrible for not commenting and liking my friends status earlier. I despise those people who beat my high score in crazy taxi etc. I don’t mind competition, its good, its terrific, but just don’t dare compete with me on facebook. That is my domain, my realm and I will be better than you, all you people who use facebook just because everybody uses it. Be on facebook because you want to be on it, because you respect it for bridging the great divide and not because it fulfills your checklist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment