Thursday, October 7, 2010

United Against the Prude

Disclaimer- This is a work of fiction and does not relate to people I know in any way possible.

I’m against prude’s. I might have been a prude, when I was a small kid, scared by the big bad wolf and their like, but no, not now. Be what you want to be, and stop shying away from the reality that there are things outside the ambit of what was considered appropriate knowledge 30 years ago. Stop living in that mindset and grow up, we are adults, we need to know what is out there, what’s coming to get us etc. Paranoid much, maybe so, but at least I’m not the one being labeled as a prude.

Prudes are pretty much the lackeys, the undeniable jerks in class whispering about the shocking expletives uttered by the girl in the next row, those people who get whiplash by trying to spy the text messages their neighbours on the class bench are writing to their loved one’s. Ohh yes, you insouciant hypocrites, attempting to look the other way when an expletive ridden programme comes on the telly, only to watch it with utmost glee in the wee hours of the morning.

I know your ilk, your kind bent on depriving others of their free thoughts, attempting to camouflage your true feelings in favour of your prudish behavior. You live in this pretty idealist world, where nobody uses invectives, dressed in appropriate clothing, all your friends think alike and so you fall prey to the illusion that whatever is appropriate for you and your ‘friends’ should apply to the rest of the people failing to join your elitist bunch. You think its ‘du jour’ to look down upon people who dare to say/write what you dare not to do. It must be scary when your sepulchral world falls in on you, covered in dust and all that you built it up on.

Prudishness is what restricts you all, acts as an impediment in freedom of speech for all. Throw in your lackluster efforts, by restricting your horizons whilst writing to spread awareness among people. But where is the justice when you stop yourself from going just that extra bit and telling all, I don’t mean an expose of any sort, just, telling everything the way it should be told. *Shock* writ large on your face at being faced with the facts, the stuff every Pulitzer aspiring journalist aspires to present first to the public at large.

All said and done, I sound like somebody who despises prudes, considers them as the lowest of the low. But, it is not so, I just don’t like that distinct quality in people, the inability to speak aloud the truth the way it is, in all its unadulterated glory. I don’t like to be censored, nobody does; You may censure me and I will accept that whole-heartedly, but not, correction- never censorship.

No comments: