I write when I’m bored, I write when I’m funny, I write in the morning, I write in the night and I especially write in holidays. But what do I write when I’m affected by writer’s block.
It’s a state of being, experienced by many but as always in the narrow-minded world acknowledged by few. As stated by one of the most unreliable yet easy to use sources (yes, I am talking about Wikipedia), it may be either psychological, sociological or due to human geography. Oh well who cares, because for me it is probably all of the above.
Every time I get a new idea, which is quite less these days, considering the long periods of inactivity undertaken by me due to hols, I literally jump up and write down the idea lest I forget it. The moment I get inspired by something or somebody I start to write then just blank out, it’s like my pre board exams where I sat quietly for 3 hours in a self destructive manner. Those were the days my friend, I hope we never revisit them again.
It’s like 2 decent lines of introduction and then I completely blank out, I’m left, looking at the walls, the ceiling, the door, even the TV, but my screen remains blank as I try to unsuccessfully remember again and again what I was thinking about. It is no use at all, as I am left floundering for words which don’t exist, for sentences whose starting words I know but the middle and the end are all forgotten. It’s like my brain forms the idea, the thought, the structure, but somewhere in between it all, I lose track of time, engage in other worthless pursuits while forgetting the actual purpose for opening a new word document.
It’s nothing to be ashamed of, many writers have had this phenomenon know or unknown to them, but to accept your inability to write for a while due to a condition made by our mind or the society’s mindset or due to our surrounding circumstances is a thoroughly appalling for us to accept. There may be burnout in sports, in politics as well as at work, but there is no such thing as burnout in writers. Burnout may be the title of our articles, it may be a condition faced by many and described by us but it is not something to be faced by us; call it obstinacy or whatever but writers are not meant to fall aside for such a mundane reason.
I’m rubbing my head, jutting my chin out, looking up, looking down, but I can’t think of anything to write, I’m back at stage 1 again. Well, now there is nothing to be done except to sit back and enjoy the bountiful time-wasting techniques the internet provides these days as I while away time waiting for my dry spell to get over as fast as possible. Till the next article, I await my blog hits to reach 85 from 80 with still 70 of them being mine (slight improvement from last time if you noticed).
From: A distressed obstinate writer teetering on the brink of violence (If his dry spell does not abate soon)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment