Monday, August 4, 2008

Rag-2

As I sat in the class pondering over when to leave for home, in came a group of seniors no doubt bored by the apparent lack of activity in the college .After a few minutes of chit-chatting, they started their ragging. Again, as I have seen before, they called out the modernites, dipsites and the lot, in essence, people from well-known schools whose name is known by all and sundry. They should not single out students from well-known schools for meting out special treatment and the sort. They should not be differentiated from fellow students, and, nor should their fellow students be ostracised for coming from less-known yet equally accomplished, if not better schools.
They may call ragging positive interaction, personal orientation programme and the sort, but at the end of the day it is ragging. If they have the guts to break the rules and force their juniors to perform acts which may be a source of laughter for the seniors, but are otherwise an embarrassment for the erstwhile juniors, they should at least have the guts to proclaim it as ragging.
They may reply that they rag their juniors, because they too were ragged in a similar fashion in the first year, but that is a pathetic reason, it is not something to be proud of, and certainly not something to be carried on as a tradition. Is it the feeling of vengeance within them, with which they create havoc among their juniors, is it the feeling of retribution within them, due to which they treat their juniors in a thoroughly undignified manner. Some may reply that they rag the juniors, because of their brazen attitude to their seniors; because the juniors somehow appear arrogant to them. Yet, they pick on unassuming juniors, who are not in the least bit arrogant; this is what reveals their deceitful nature. Again, it is the socially insecure who resort to measures as ragging in order to keep the illusion, that they are stronger, smarter and better than their junior counterparts (which is not the least bit truthful).Their inability to excel in their respective fields, is what makes them rag juniors so as to gain respect by using the tool of fear, little do they know that it inspires hatred as well as pity within the juniors towards them.

I would like to conclude by stating that, keep up your heads high freshman (I abhor the derogatory term fuccha and the sort).They may have won the battle, but the war is ours. I may seem to be extremist in my views and somehow biased against the senior readers, but these are my views and I do not mean offense to anyone, I repeat, that this is not a diatribe against my seniors; rather, I wish to enlighten people.

Thank you for spending your time on reading this and I hope that you will comment on it.

No comments: